Thursday, May 10, 2012

Anniversary #3 (Part 2 - Typhoon Lagoon)

Typhoon Lagoon
This trip was the first time Bill and I had tried out a water park together.  Disney has 2 water parks: Blizzard Beach, where the theme is a freak snowstorm hit Florida so they opened a ski resort. Now that it's melted, what's left is a water park. The other water park is Typhoon Lagoon, which was also hit by a storm, hence the typhoon. What's left are shipwrecks and surf boards everywhere.  I had visited Typhoon Lagoon as a kid, but I think I was 8 years old at the time and all I remembered was they had an amazing wave pool. So, not having anything else to go on, we based our decision on the wave pool I had not seen in 17 years.

  • Wave Pool It did not disappoint. The crowds were low and the curls were high! Bill got pushed down a few times and even lost our locker key in our own typhoon. Apparently, this happens a lot, so hang on!! I could easily spend an entire afternoon at this attraction alone.
  • Shark Reef Although it wasn't expansive and won't completely compare to any ocean snorkeling, we were extremely impressed with the Shark Reef. It's a man made coral reef environment. They provide cleansed snorkel gear and life jackets so guests can swim from one end of this pool to the other while observing fish. There were beautiful fish, sting rays and even small sharks! It was about a leisurely 3 minute swim across. As the crowd levels were low, we were able to swim across and walk right back into line with the same snorkel gear without a wait. We got multiple swims in.
  • Crush 'n' Gusher Once again, Disney amazed me. I love roller coasters but it never occurred to me to combine one with a water slide. It's a crazy ride on a tube. When you're not going down, you're going upwards in your tube on a conveyor belt for more drops. It was terrifying, thrilling, wet and wild! A definite must-do for adventure-seekers!
  • The rest of the park We chillaxed on a lazy river, did a few water slides, tanned on the white sand "beach" under straw-thatched huts. There was a really nice balance of thrills and relaxation at this park. Overall rating: 2 thumbs way up!


1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you liked it! My family LOVES Typhoon Lagoon and we never miss it on our trips! My boys would (and have) spent one entire visit in the wave pool!

    ReplyDelete